Yoshinori TOKURA （Y. Tokura）
Education & Careers
|Mar. 1976||B. S., Dept. of Applied Physics, University of Tokyo|
|Mar. 1981||Ph. D., Dept. of Applied Physics, University of Tokyo|
|Apr. 1981||Research Associate, Dept. of Applied Physics, University of Tokyo|
|Aug. 1984||Lecturer, Dept. of Applied Physics, University of Tokyo|
|Jul. 1986||Associate Professor, Dept. of Physics, University of Tokyo|
|Jul. 1993 - Mar. 2002||Group Leader, Joint Research Center for Atom Technology (JRCAT)|
|Jan. 1994||Professor, Dept. of Physics, University of Tokyo|
|Apr. 1995 - present||Professor, Dept. of Applied Physics, University of Tokyo|
|Apr. 2001 - Mar. 2008||Director, Correlated Electron Research Center (CERC), AIST|
|Oct. 2001 - Mar. 2007||Research Director, Tokura Spin Superstructure, ERATO-JST|
|Oct. 2006 - Mar. 2012||Research Director, Tokura Multiferroics Project, ERATO-JST|
|Oct. 2007 - Mar. 2013||Group Director, Cross-Correlated Materials Research Group (CMRG), RIKEN|
|Apr. 2008 - present||AIST Fellow, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST)|
|Apr. 2010 - Jun. 2013||Center Director, Quantum-Phase Electronics Center (QPEC), School of Engineering, The University of Tokyo|
|Apr. 2010 - Mar. 2013||Director, Emergent Materials Department, RIKEN Advanced Science Institute|
|Apr. 2010 - Mar. 2013||Group Director, Correlated Electron Research Group (CERG), RIKEN Advanced Science Institute|
|Apr. 2013 - present||Director, RIKEN Center for Emergent Matter Science (CEMS)|
Materials Physics, Applied Physics
Council Member of Science Council of Japan(20th)、Member of Science Council of Japan(21,22th).
Foreign Member of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences(2014 - )
discoveries of photo-induced phase transition phenomena,
discoveries of electron-doped high-temperature (high-Tc) superconductors,
establishment of a general rule for high-Tc materials design and its application to new high-Tc materials synthesis,
systematic studies on the filling-controlled Mott transition system,
discoveries and research on the mechanism of colossal magnetoresistance in oxide materials,
discoveries of gigantic nonlinear optical properties in Mott insulators,
creation of organic molecular ferroelectrics,
discoveries of gigantic magnetoelectric effect in multiferroics,
observation and invstigation of magnetic skyrmions,
and so on.
19 papers were published in Nature, 30 papers in Nature's sister journals, 21 papers in Science, 170 or more papers in Phys.Rev.Lett., and so on.
|1990||Nishina Memorial Prize|
|1990||IBM Japan Science Prize|
|1991||Bernd Matthias Prize|
|1998||Nissan science Prize|
|1999||JPS Award for Academic Papers on Physics|
|2002||ISI Citation Laureate Award （Department of Applied Physics）|
|2003||Medal with Purple Ribbon|
|2005||James C. MacGroddy Prize for New Materials|
|2011||52th Fujihara Prize|
|2012||IUPAP Magnetism Award and Néel Medal|
|2013||The Imperial Prize and Japan Academy Prize|
|2014||Honorary Doctor at Uppsala University|
|2014||55th Honda Memorial Award|
- Y.Tokura, H.Takagi, and S.Uchida, "A superconducting copper oxide compound with electrons as the charge carriers", Nature, 337, 345-347 (1989).
- H.Kuwahara, Y.Tomioka, A.Asamitsu, Y.Moritomo, and Y.Tokura, "A First-Order Phase Transition Induced by a Magnetic Field", Science, 270, 961-963 (1995).
- Y.Moritomo, A.Asamitsu, H.Kuwahara, and Y.Tokura, "Giant Magnetoresistance in Layered Structure of Manganese Oxides", Nature, 380, 141-144 (1996).
- Y.Tokura, H.Kuwahara, Y.Moritomo, Y.Tomioka, and A.Asamitsu, "Competing instabilities and metastable states in (Nd,Sm)1/2Sr1/2MnO3", Phys.Rev.Lett., 76, 3184 (1996).
- T.Kimura, Y.Tomioka, H.Kuwahara, A.Asamitsu, M.Tamura, and Y.Tokura, "Interplane tunneling magnetoresistance in a layered manganite crystal", Science, 274, 1698-1701 (1996).
- A.Asamitsu, Y.Tomioka, H.Kuwahara, and Y.Tokura, "Current-switching of resistive states in colossal magnetoresistive oxides", Nature, 388, 50-52 (1997).
- K.-I.Kobayashi, T.Kimura, H.Sawada, K.Terakura, and Y.Tokura, "Room-temperature magnetoresistance in an oxide material with an ordered double-perovskite structure", Nature, 395, 677-680 (1998).
- Y.Tokura and N.Nagaosa, "Orbital Physics in Transition-Metal Oxides", Science, 288, 462 (2000).
- E.Saitoh, S.Okamoto, K.T.Takahashi, K.Tobe, K.Yamamoto, T.Kimura, S.Ishihara, S.Maekawa, and Y.Tokura, "Observation of orbital waves as elementary excitations in a solid", Nature, 410, 180 (2001).
- Y.Taguchi, Y.Oohara, H.Yoshizawa, N.Nagaosa, and Y.Tokura, "Spin Chirality, Berry Phase, and Anomalous Hall Effect in a Frustrated Ferromagnet", Science, 291, 2573 (2001).
- S.Horiuchi, Y.Okimoto, R.Kumai, and Y.Tokura,"Quantum Phase Transition in Organic Charge-Transfer Complexes",Science, 299, 229 (2003).
- T.Kimura, T.Goto, H.Shintani, K.Ishizaka, T.Arima, and Y.Tokura "Magnetic control of ferroelectric polarization",Nature,426,140 (2003).
- S.Ishiwata, Y. Taguchi, H.Murakawa, Y. Onose, and Y. Tokura "Low-Magnetic-Field Control of Electric Polarization Vector in a Helimagnet" Science, 319, 1643 (2008).
- Y. Tokunaga, N. Furukawa, H. Sakai, Y. Taguchi, T. Arima, and Y. Tokura "Composite domain walls in a multiferroic perovskite ferrite" Nature Mat., 8, 558 - 562 (2009).
- M. Nakamura, D. Okuyama, J. S. Lee, T. Arima, Y. Wakabayashi, R. Kumai, M. Kawasaki, and Y. Tokura "Magnetically Tunable Metal-Insulator Superlattices" Adv. Mater., 22, 876 (2010).
- X. Z. Yu, Y. Onose, N. Kanazawa, J. H. Park, J. H. Han, Y. Matsui, N. Nagaosa, and Y. Tokura "Real-space observation of a two-dimensional skyrmion crystal" Nature 465, 901 (2010).